COMING SOON

1834

James Wilkie, a local stonemason is commissioned to construct storage reservoirs at Grimsargh, to provide domestic water for the rapidly expanding population of Preston

1853

Preston Waterworks Company is taken over by Corporation of Preston

1935

Courtaulds factory is built at Red Scar.

This is a major employer in the area, where man-made textiles, such as Rayon, are produced. Water is provided from Grimsargh reservoirs by a dedicated pipe.

1959

Preston and District Water Board take over management. The reservoirs are no longer needed for domestic water supplies

1967

Courtaulds Angling Association obtains a lease to use the reservoirs for fishing.

1974

Preston Waterboard becomes part of NW Water Authority and subsequently United Utilities

1980

Courtaulds closes with the loss of 2,800 jobs and ending the commercial lifetime of the reservoirs.

2003

The area is designated a Biological Heritage Site after tireless campaigning by Councillor David Hindle.

2005

'Friends of Grimsargh Reservoirs' convene a meeting at the Grimsargh Club to save the reservoirs from demolition.

2017

After lengthy negotiations between Grimsargh Parish Council and United Utilities the reservoirs are transferred to the Parish Council. The Grimsargh Wetlands Trust is set up to manage the site now known as the Grimsargh Wetlands.

2018

25-year lease for The Wetlands Trust is secured.

Work is commenced by trustees and volunteers to begin to restore The Wetlands and create a habitat rich in biodiversity.

© Grimsargh Wetlands Trust | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Site Map
Registered Charity No.: 1174037